Bulky Household Waste Collection Services, York PANovember 23, 2020
Being ‘Waste Wise’ – York PAMarch 10, 2021
People all over the world are changing to incorporate a greener lifestyle, to not only benefit their immediate environment, but ultimately the rest of the country and the world for junk removal.
Scientists claim that our earth is in distress from the vast amounts of waste of all types that we generate. The resultant outcome is global warming, which is manifested by disruptive weather patterns, high temperatures, wildfires, and killer storms that are recorded not only in our country, but in places around the world.
There is good news, however. By changing the way we interact with our environment can have a positive effect. Any small change we make in our habits in relationship to waste is a small step forward to safeguarding the quality of our air, reducing the amount of trash finding its way into our landfills, and helping to keep junk out of our countryside and oceans.
When considering changing certain aspects of your lifestyle to make it more sustainable and eco-friendlier, it’s a good time to get your kids involved. They are never too young to learn good eco-habits, and once they understand why these steps are needed and how you as a family will achieve them, this behaviour will become second nature to them. They are sure to pass these lifelong habits onto their own children, to the benefit of the next generation.
Here are some simple choices you can take as a family to begin your greener lifestyle:
To Save Energy
- Use low-energy light bulbs which last longer than normal ones and will save energy.
- Use the cold wash cycle on your washing machine
- Replace your old appliances like fridges with energy efficient models.
- Switch lights off when you are not in the room.
- Switch plugs off at the wall when you aren’t using any appliances and chargers.
- Lower the temperature on the thermostat of your boiler or heater. The Energy Saving Trust recommends 64-70F during winter, but even by lowering it 1 or 2 degrees will help save on your energy bill and assist the planet.
- By using natural daylight for as long as possible in the evenings before switching on your lights is a must on long summer evenings and the savings will show on your bills.
- Dry your clothes on a laundry line in the open instead of the dryer when the weather allows.
- Invest in solar panels to power your hot water system. This technology is becoming cheaper than conventional energy.
To Recycle Successfully
- Invest in a multi-use bin, or different colored bins to make sorting out your recycling simple. Even the youngest members of your family will be able to follow this and will make recycling fun for them.
- By reducing paper use you save trees, so print on both sides of the paper when possible.
- Start a compost bin to take care of your food scraps. You can also add your garden waste.
- Use this compost to start your own herb and vegetable garden. This is a great way to teach your children where food comes from.
- Recycle the plastic shampoo and shower gel bottles from your bathroom.
- Rinse any plastic wrapping or containers to get rid of food residue before recycling.
- Try to use recycled products wherever possible, for e.g. only buy recycled paper. More and more products are being manufactured using recycled or reused materials.
- Donate your used belongings to charity shops or sell them online instead of trashing them.
Reduce Your Use of Plastic
- Replace disposable plastic bags with reusable bags.
- Plastic water bottles are the worst offenders for plastic waste, so replace them with a reusable water bottle.
- Replace disposable hot drink containers with reusable ones.
- By reducing the number of disposable nappies you use by combining with the reusable cloth diapers can make a big difference. Even if you manage to use 2 of these diapers a day, you will keep over 700 disposables from the landfills over a year.
- Pack your leftover food in reusable containers instead of plastic wrap.
Reducing the use of Fossil Fuel
Within a few years vehicles that are run on clean energy will probably be the order of the day, but until then, here are a few ways of reducing your carbon footprint.
- Walk or ride a bike for short errands. Not only will this save fuel, but it will benefit your health.
- Keep within the speed limit.
- Support your local restaurants and shops. Not only does this help boost the local economy that is surely suffering from the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic and closures of businesses, but will reduce your carbon emissions by reducing travelling distances.
- By supporting local farmers’ markets, buy food that has not been transported over long distances, and help farmers keep their businesses going.
- Reduce the carbon emissions from your vehicle by servicing it regularly to keep it running well.
Leading a sustainable lifestyle is a goal that we should try to achieve. Even by implementing one or two of these measures will make a difference to our world.
However, no matter how sustainable our lifestyle is, there is always home junk removal needed and Little Green Junk York is a licensed, responsible company that removes junk. We offer everything from a furniture disposal service to yard waste removal when your trash becomes too much for you to deal with. Our aim is to keep as much waste as possible out of our landfills, by recycling where we can to ensure our environment is kept as pristine as we all wish it to be.
When you renovate your home to add greener features like solar panels, or any other energy saving devices and you generate construction debris, we are the experts at construction waste removal. We will ensure that it is disposed of in a responsible manner and dumped in the right place, so you can rest assured that you are dealing with a responsible construction waste removal company.
Little Green Junk is here to help you achieve your green goals. We will help you with your waste management and junk removal. We offer residential junk removal and yard waste removal in York and surrounds. We are a licensed waste removal company and will dispose of your unwanted garbage in a responsible manner, recycling where we can. We can collect your waste after hours, on weekends, and we even offer a same day junk removal service.
Please contact us today for a No Obligation quote for your trash removal in the York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg area.
Phone: 717 467 0070