Waste – Going Green, York PANovember 25, 2020
Online Returns Waste, York PAMarch 17, 2021
The end of a year is a good time to assess the state of our homes. Are they messy and packed with clutter? Could we use this holiday season productively to clear some of it out before the New Year? This is traditionally the time of year when we welcome family and friends to join our celebrations, but this year is different for some of us. We have been encouraged to stay at home and to keep our socializing to a minimum because of the Covid-19 epidemic. But in spite of this, we’ll still manage to accumulate more things as people still exchange gifts. Junk Removal York PA
Every household accumulates waste constantly, some that can be recycled and some that must be disposed of. And this waste doesn’t seem to lessen at all over the holidays, in fact with more activities at home, more food preparation, and more visitors, it seems to increase. The goal of reaching zero-waste is still a way off for most of us, so we have to consider our options for residential trash removal.
The three most common options are:
- Collection by the Local Authority
- Undertaking to dispose of trash ourselves
- Hiring a licensed junk removal company such as Little Green Junk York PA
Local Authority Collections
The local authority in York collects household trash that is placed in securely tied trash bags, or in the containers specifically sold for trash storage. The household trash is collected from the sidewalk. Any container that is non-authorized by being the wrong size may be disposed of as illegally placed trash. The refuse fee is included on the monthly sewer bills.
Recycling containers are collected each week, so place all plastic, metal and glass bottles, jars, and cans in these containers. Items must be rinsed, with heavy items placed on top of light items so nothing blows out of the recycling container. Cardboard for recycling must be flattened, tied in a bundle, and placed either in the container or on top of it.
Large-item collection can be scheduled for curb-side collection each week, and these include household furniture, appliances, and other approved bulky items. You can schedule up to 5 items for no additional fee, but all items have to be booked in advance. But there are excluded items which must be handled privately, which includes pianos, car parts, lumber, building rubble, and e-waste.
York City staff collect your real Christmas trees after the holidays, generally during the first 2 weeks of January. These trees are then chipped and used for mulch.
DIY Rubbish Removal
Much of the waste we try disposing of ourselves will probably consist of the toxic items and other waste items on the list that cannot be officially collected. This can add to the waste problems harming the environment. Illegal dumping is punishable by law.
York County has a goal of responsible solid waste management, making the disposal of garbage easy, and has programs in place to encourage waste reduction, reuse, and recycling.
There are recycling and residential electronics recycling depots where you can dispose of your unwanted goods at no extra charge. Other trash items are charged a disposal fee by weight.
Hiring a Waste Removal Company
The Little Green Junk Company could be the solution to those waste items that need removing from your home, but that don’t fit into the categories the council can dispose of, for example, a piano, yard waste, or construction waste.
So if electrical appliances such as fridges, freezers, washing machines and dishwashers, old furniture, e-waste, and garden refuse that are unable to be removed by leaving them on the curb are cluttering up your home and garden, we can remove them quickly and efficiently. We deliver these items for recycling. We can also remove your construction waste from building and DIY projects.
We are a licensed trash removal company and have worked in the York PA and Harrisburg area for a number of years. We have helped many companies and households dispose of their unwanted waste quickly and our rates are competitive.
Some Interesting Waste Facts of 2020
- The United States is the biggest waste of food in the world. As a nation, we discard nearly 40 million tons of food per year. This is about 220 pounds of waste for each person.
- This amounts to more than $161 billion in value and this is 30-40% of the US food supply.
- Food is the single largest component that takes up space in US landfills, making up 22% of municipal solid waste. This rotting food has a direct influence on global warming.
- The average American family of four discards $1,600 worth of food per year, most of it dairy.
- Several states across the country are putting steps in place to end food waste and increase food recovery which is good news for our planet.
- With billions of new devices coming on stream each year, e-waste is the fastest growing waste stream in the US.
- 85% of e-waste is sent to landfills or incinerators, where when burned or broken down, releases harmful toxins into the air, soil, and groundwater.
- 25 million TV appliances become obsolete each year with most ending up in landfill sites, despite being accepted at many recycling places across the country. The breakdown of these items is one of the main contributors to toxic chemicals found in landfills.
- It has been calculated that at least 25% of discarded e-waste could be repaired and reused.
- Become part of the solution to e-waste by disposing of your electronics in a responsible manner, recycle them or pass them on to someone who could use them.
- Aluminum cans are easy to recycle and they are high value. Each aluminum can that is handed in for recycling, can be back on the supermarket shelf within 60 days.
- The average person could recycle more than 25,000 cans in their lifetime.
- Aluminum cans can be recycled over and over again without losing their quality.
Little Green Junk, York PA – How We Can Help You with Responsible Waste Removal
Little Green Junk York PA is your local licensed junk removal company that will get the job done and leave your premises clean and tidy. We dispose of your trash responsibly and with care. We aim to recycle much of the waste we collect, and to dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way. We are committed to keeping our environment as clean as possible.
Contact us for a free, no obligation quote, indicating the pick-up times that will fit best with your schedule. Our service includes after hours or at weekends junk haul away, and even a same day junk removal service. Let us help you maintain the safety and cleanliness of your surroundings.
Call us at the following number: 717 467 0070
We look forward to hearing from you.