Clear the Clutter: Boost Productivity by Cleaning Up Your WorkspaceMay 1, 2023
Get Ready for Summer: Prepare Your House and Yard for Your Best Summer EverMay 10, 2023
When renovating your home or redecorating some rooms, besides a fresh coat of paint, often the first step is removing the old carpets and replacing them with a more modern choice of floorings such as vinyl, tiles, or wood floors. Disposing of old carpets is not all that simple though. Carpet contains complex chemicals and fibers that do not break down easily in a landfill. The vast majority of carpets are manufactured using synthetic fibers such as nylon, polyester, and synthetic rubber products which are all produced from oil products.
As with all plastic substances, these components can take hundreds of years to decompose. While breaking down, they not only release methane which is a greenhouse gas, but they also release toxic chemicals which leach into the groundwater and the surrounding soils. In addition, there are toxic chemicals in the glue used to stick carpets down, and chemicals that are used to make carpets water and stain-repellent.
It is important therefore to take care when disposing of old carpets. Ensure that it is done in an environmentally friendly manner.
Recycling Old Carpet
- Because carpet is a durable product typically lasting ten years or longer in a home, the PR efforts to increase recycling are not as influential as those when single-use plastic is involved. But due to increased awareness from the public many carpet manufacturers are producing carpets using more environmentally friendly materials and methods. But there are still many toxic chemicals used in the carpet manufacturing business that will not break down in landfills.
- There is increased legislation around the country to encourage carpet recycling and this should grow as more states adopt these standards. Recycling will also increase as the technology used to manufacture carpets and putting the end products to use, improves.
- If you are replacing the carpeting in your home you may have a carpet recycling center in your vicinity. Check with your local municipality or council if they can help with carpet collection.
- Use a licensed waste collector such as Little Green Junk to remove your old carpeting. We will remove the old carpet and recycle it if possible. This is a great option for disposing of it in an environmentally acceptable manner.
- If you are installing a new carpet, ask your carpet dealer if they offer any recycling services whereby they remove your old carpet or if they know of a carpet recycling center. You may be required to pay an additional fee for this service. If this is the case, using a waste removal service instead may be the cheaper option for you.
It is surprising what recycled carpet components can be turned into. Carpets are broken down through various processes and manufactured into many useful products. These include roofing shingles, stepping stones, railroad tiles, and composite lumber that is used for manufacturing patio furniture, railings, and decking, amongst other things.
Other Methods of Repurposing Carpet
These methods do not involve recycling of the materials, but rather repurposing usable carpet pieces for other uses. On a large scale, these include batting for soft furnishings, road underlay, and specialist textiles that are used for soil retention and reinforcement of water drainage courses.
If there are no recycling services available instead of throwing your carpet out repurpose it instead by finding other uses for it. These are all ways of keeping carpets out of landfill sites.
In the Garden.Cut up pieces and use them as gardening mats to protect or cushion your knees when doing tasks like weeding or planting out your beds. Other uses in your garden include laying them on your paths or beds to discourage weeds. Just lay the piece of carpet upside down and cover it with bark mulch. Cover your compost heap with a piece of old carpeting during winter to keep it warm.
In the House.Offcuts or leftover pieces of carpet can be placed under heavy furniture pieces to prevent damage to your new floors. Pieces of carpet can be placed under your washer and dryer to muffle any noise. Use pieces to make runners and rugs for your home.
Pamper your Pets.Use left over cuts to enhance your pets’ lives. Make a scratching post for your cat. Use them to line your outdoor dog house to make it cosy. Make new beds for your pets. Donate pieces to your local pet shelter for use in their cat and dog cages.
Garage and Workshop.Hang carpet strips on your garage wall to protect your car doors from being damaged when they are opened. Place a square of carpeting under your lawn mower to catch any oil drops. Make mats for your shed or workshop.
Donate to Charity.Donate old carpet that is in good condition to a charity such as the Salvation Army. They will use these in their shelters for the homeless.
Little Green Junk for Old Carpet Removal
There are many ways of disposing of your old carpet either by recycling, reusing, or repurposing. It is important to do anything you can to keep as much of it as possible out of our landfills.
If you find yourself in a position where you need old carpets or any junk hauled away, you can rely on Little Green Junk to carry out your waste removal and disposal in a professional manner. We recycle wherever possible, and you can be assured that we only use the landfill as a last resort.
At Little Green Junk Company in York, PA, we treat our customers with the respect they deserve, and we are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that they are happy with our service. Once we arrive on site and inspect the extent of the cleanout, we will discuss any changes to be made to the quote with you. When we have an agreement on the amount, we will start clearing your trash away.
When we have completed the job, we will leave that area clean and tidy.
We realise that sometimes you need to get rid of your trash in a hurry, so we offer a same day junk removal service, and we can even accommodate your junk removal after hours or over a weekend if that is what you require.
Please call us today on 717 467 0070 when you need a quote for your trash removal when you undertake your spring clean.