Estate Cleanout, YorkJuly 24, 2020
Hoarder Rubbish Removal, York PAAugust 12, 2020
Responsible Recycling of Junk Metal, York PA
Junk Metal products are very much part of our daily lives. Together with plastic, every single appliance or machine we use is constructed using these two basics. The sheer volume of products that are replaced every year and need to be disposed of, makes it imperative that we recycle them safely and responsibly.
Metal is a valuable material that can be recycled repeatedly without any changes to its basic properties. Scrap metal has a value which encourages people to collect it for sale. The collection and recycling of this metal is an exceptionally large industry worldwide. At Little Green Junk we encourage the recycling of all metals, thus ensuring as little as possible finds its way into the landfill.
Steel is the most recycled material on the planet, according to the American Iron and Steel Institute. Aluminum is also extensively recycled, as well as other metals like copper, lead, zinc, and tin. Precious metals that are recycled often include gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. In the recycling process, metal is extracted from the waste stream, processed, and can be used again and again. This extraction of metal by recycling, uses less energy than the manufacture of metal products using raw materials. It is also much kinder to the environment and preserves natural resources.
Some Interesting Facts About Junk Metal Removal and Recycling
- Around 40% of all steel produced worldwide is made using recycled steel. In the United States 42% of crude steel is manufactured from recycled materials.
- Steel and iron are the most recycled materials globally. The largest source of this in the US is provided by the 11 million or more automobiles which are recycled annually. These ferrous metals are easily separated from other waste using their magnetic properties.
- 75% of all the aluminum ever produced is still in circulation, making it the most recycled metal consumer product globally. In the US, 65% of aluminum is recycled including soda cans, TV, dinner trays, and aluminum foil. 2 out of 3 cans are recycled.
- Different types of metals can be identified and separated by modern recycling technologies. Products such as mobile phones can contain as many as 40 different alloys so to recycle these metals would require huge volumes of phones to make it financially viable, even though some of the components of these mobiles are highly valuable.
Junk Metal Removal and Recycling Challenges
- Although metal has a value and is easily recycled, only about 30% ends up being recycled. This number needs to increase through public and community awareness campaigns.
- The challenge of modern products containing many alloys is that they are not easy to disassemble or to separate out the materials for recycling.
- Recycling technologies need to improve to keep up with these complex products. Some components of these products are toxic to the environment, so it is important to keep them out of our landfills.
Which Appliances contain Metal?
It would be easier to list appliances that do not contain metal!
- Kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, stoves, ovens, and microwaves.
- Laptops, TV sets, and mobile phones.
- Air conditioners and fans.
- Generators, heaters, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers.
Office equipment such as photocopiers, printers, scanners, laptops, and other IT equipment are also made of various types of metal.
Before calling a scrap metal hauler or commissioning an air conditioner disposal, it is important to find out how these scrap guys will dispose of the old appliances, or your e-waste. Because of the danger these pose to the environment, if they find their way into our landfills, every effort must be made to recycle these. At Little Green Junk we care about our environment, and recycle scrap metal as much as we can.
Recycling and Removal of Junk Metal
Recycling and removal of junk metal has occurred throughout the ages, as even in the middle ages it was apparent that to rework iron was much easier than going through the process of mining the ore and processing that.
There are two main categories of metal, ferrous and non-ferrous. Ferrous metal contains iron, for example steel, has less value than non-ferrous, but is more extensively used. These ferrous metals can be separated using powerful magnets. Nonferrous metals including aluminum, copper, brass, and silver are more valuable and as a result, are rarely thrown away, with the exception of aluminum which is widely recycled.
The scrap or junk metal removal and recycling process involves several steps.
Little Green Junk is involved in collecting and removing piles of metal and other trash which we deliver to recycling centers for further sorting and processing.
Metals have different values, so they are separated during the sorting process before being weighed and baled for further processing. Quality of this scrap metal is important as high-quality metal can only be manufactured from good quality scrap.
After sorting, the metal is compressed to ensure it takes up the least amount of space as possible on the conveyor belt.
Metal is shredded by breaking it down into tiny pieces to assist with the melting process and makes this process as energy efficient as possible.
Furnaces are used to melt the scrap metal and as each metal melts at a specific temperature, different temperatures are used for different metals. Melting can happen in a few minutes, or it can take a few hours depending on the volume to be melted and the type of metal. The amount of energy required to melt metal is substantial, but it is still less than the energy required to process metal from the raw ore.
The impurities are removed to ensure a high-quality product. Ferrous metals are put through a magnetic system to purify them, and nonferrous metals are purified by electrolysis.
The molten metal is cooled and hardened into different shapes and sizes which can then be used across all industries for the manufacturing of the products that are essential to our lives.
We at Little Green Junk are committed to recycling all junk metal in a responsible manner. We encourage the recycling of scrap metal for reuse to divert it from landfills.
Why Choose Us?
Little Green Junk is your local metal junk removal company in the York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg areas. We will dispose of all metal junk in a responsible manner as we care for our local environment as much as you do. We can haul away any type of scrap metal at a time that suits you, even over a weekend or after hours.
Please contact us for a free, no obligation quote on 717 467 0070. We look forward to hearing from you.