Is Your Lease Ending? As a Tenant, You Need to Leave the Property CleanMay 29, 2022
Why it is Crucial to Manage Your WasteJune 10, 2022
The removal and disposal of all types of waste is something that we need to be aware of if we are serious about getting the management of waste under control. It is something that every one of us can contribute to as we learn to control the amount of waste we generate in our everyday living. It is something that we all need to be aware of and actively engaged with if we are serious about saving our environment. Little Green Junk can help as when we remove any waste, we recycle where we can and only use the landfill as a last resort.
There is a great understanding of recycling our waste and what a positive effect it has on our environment. There are very few products that are not able to be recycled. Some products are easier to recycle, and products manufactured from recycled ingredients save tons of raw or virgin materials. There is money in rubbish as the saying goes which makes some products more popular and lucrative to recycle. There are also those products that are toxic to the environment, so it is critically important to recycle these.
So which Are the Most Recycled Products?
- Concrete is the most bulk recycled material and comes mainly from construction and demolition waste. This does not affect most of us like recycling of plastic or glass does, but when you consider that the largest use for recycled concrete is the aggregate used for road construction and other building operations that need soil stabilization and landscaping, it is apparent that this plays a huge part in all of our everyday lives.
- Steel comes next and it is estimated that nearly 90% of all used steel is recycled. Recycled steel can be used over and over again without losing any of its qualities and two out of every three tons of steel made is from recycled product. These products include cars, household appliances, and tin cans. Both concrete and steel are mainly recycled on an industrial scale.
- Aluminium has more of a personal connection to all of us as it is something we recycle in our own home bins. It is also the most valuable material that is collected and is a profitable part of the business of recycling.
- Plastic is part of any recycling program, but it is not as successfully recycled for reuse as these other leading materials are.
- Paper and cardboard can mostly be recycled but if it has food grease on it or a wax coating it is considered contaminated and cannot be added to the recycling. Grocery stores generate tons of cardboard waste every month.
- When you consider that 90% of all products shipped in the United States from online purchases are packed in cardboard boxes you can only wonder at how many tons this amounts to. It takes three tons of raw wood to manufacture one ton of virgin cardboard, so the necessity of recycling our cardboard and paper is very important.
- Glass recycling is something most Americans have easy access to. Glass can be recycled time and again without any loss of quality or purity. Colored glass is often required to be separated from clear glass, and the reuse of a glass container left in a recycling bin to being filled with product and back on a store shelf can take as little as 30 days.
The Biggest Source of Waste in America - What Is It?
This source is larger than any of the above and is growing by the year.
It is Food
We waste at least one pound of food per person each day. Over a year that mounts up to many, many tons. To put a monetary value on this wastage, the average American family of four throws out $1,500 in wasted food annually. Food waste is the number one material in American landfills, it comprises 24 percent of the waste in our landfills. Number two is plastic waste.
As food decomposes in a landfill it emits methane, a greenhouse gas that is even more detrimental to the environment than carbon emissions are. So even though food is an organic product, when it rots it does much harm to the environment. Although much of this can be prevented by recycling organic matter and composting, the best way to curb these emissions is at source, and that is to waste less food. This is where we can all make a difference.
- We need to only purchase what we require
- Work out portion sizes to ensure that there are minimal left overs on our plates and put away in our fridges where they invariably land up in the rubbish bin
- Not to throw out food too early, but rather to rely on our noses and eyes to tell us when food is too old rather than relying on the ‘sell by’ dates which err on the side of caution. This means that food is still good and can last a few days past this date.
What is also worth mentioning is that it is not only the food that is being wasted, but also the energy and water that it took to grow, pick, package and ship this food. It is a waste of the fuel used to move the food from the field to the pack house, and then from there to markets all over the country.
How Little Green Junk Can Help You with Your Waste Management
- As can be seen, most of the waste that we generate in our households or in business can be successfully recycled.
- Little Green Junk Company is a licensed, professional waste removal company based in York, PA, that can remove most types of waste from your yard, business, or home.
- We haul your trash away, recycle where we can, and only dump in the landfill when there is no alternative.
- We treat our customers with the respect they deserve, and we are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that they are happy with our service.
- If you need to get rid of your trash in a hurry we offer a same-day junk removal service. We can even accommodate your household trash removal after hours or over a weekend if that suits you better.
- Please call us today on 717 467 0070 when you need a quote for your trash removal. We leave the area where we worked clean and swept.