Need Waste Removed? Call In the ProfessionalsDecember 18, 2022
The Importance of Regular Waste Removal – and the Necessity of RecyclingDecember 27, 2022
It is that wonderful time of year again! We are approaching the holiday season. The trials and tribulations of the past two years where we were subjected to many restrictions with respect to where we could travel, and how many people we could see, are over! We are once again free to visit as we wish with family and friends.
It is also the time that waste generation increases. We buy more stuff – new appliances and furniture for our houses, gifts, and of course food, food, and more food. Much of this will be bought online, which means more packaging to get rid of. So all this means that we have more trash to get rid of. Keeping on top of our recycling program is important.
Preparing For the Holidays - Cleaning Out Your Home
You may decide to do a clear-out at home and get rid of those items that have been cluttering up your home for a while. You may be expecting visitors and guests over the holiday season and need to make some space for them. Maybe you have a basement filled with unwanted items that you have been meaning to clear out for a while. Or have you been using your dining area as a home office, but now with guests expected over the holidays, you need it back to its original purpose. So there may be items of furniture and office equipment that you need to get rid of.
Don’t forget to give Little Green Junk a call when you need some assistance with your rubbish or waste removal. We are a professional waste removal company and are flexible with our times as we can fetch your waste after hours or even on the same day, so there is no reason to wait for your regular rubbish and waste removal by the local municipality. We even clean the area from where we remove the junk. So there is no need to stress about your rubbish buildup over the holidays, just give us a call and we will take care of the rest.
Are There Ways of Cutting Down on Waste Over the Holidays?
There are ways we can cut down on our personal and household waste over the holidays.
- When buying a gift, ensure that it is something that will be used, and not put in a cupboard and tossed out into the garbage at the end of the holidays.
- Something delicious to eat is always welcome, so if you are a dab hand in the kitchen, bake tasty cookies, snacks, or cakes.
- Instead of buying something, why don’t you gift someone with an experience? Concert tickets, or tickets to a game featuring their favorite sports team are sure to be most welcome.
- Are you buying everything online this year? You will be inundated with packaging, so it is important to recycle all this paper and cardboard packaging.
- Make sure that you keep up to date with recycling of plastic, paper, aluminum, and glass. Make it easy for your guests by having labelled bins for the different types of waste.
How To Cut Down on Food Waste
Make no mistake, food waste is a huge problem. In the USA, this stream of waste has skyrocketed in the past few decades and is now estimated to be between 30% and 40% of the entire food supply. The consequences of this include more organic waste finding its way into landfills which leads to a rise in climate changing emissions.
It is inevitable that there will be more food waste than normal at this time of year. We end up preparing far too much food for our guests, and unfortunately a lot of this will get to be thrown out. This is not only a waste of our money, but it also is bad news for our environment. But there are ways in which we can curb this waste by taking a few steps.
- Create a meal plan. The experts assure us that this is a way of not buying more than you will need, thus cutting down on waste.
- Make a shopping list. Shopping off a list does away with those impulse buys, and also helps you not to buy duplicates of what you already have at home.
- Store your food correctly. Don’t leave your food lying around the kitchen when you get back from the store. Pack perishable items preferably where you can see them so that they do not sit at the back of your fridge and spoil.
- Take an inventory of what you have in your fridge and pantry. This will help you when you make your lists before you go shopping. If your guests wish to contribute to your dinner you will be able to tell them what to bring.
- Use leftovers before the food spoils. Store in clear containers so as not to lose sight of them, and if you have not consumed them within a day or two, most leftovers can be successfully frozen and kept for a few months.
- Compost where you can.
How Can Little Green Junk Help with Waste Removal?
If there is any uncertainty about how to dispose of any of the buildup of household waste over the holidays, from your plastic waste to any large household items you wish to get rid of, please give us a call. We are a professional junk and waste removal company, and we will remove any household or yard waste and dispose of it responsibly, recycling where we can, and only using the landfill as a last resort.
Just point out which junk you need us to remove, and we do the rest. We load it, and even leave that area clean and swept.
We even offer a same day junk removal service if that is what you need. We work over weekends and on holidays, so we are available to haul away your junk or perform waste removal service at anytime you need us.
We operate in and around the York PA area, and cover Harrisburg and Lancaster.
If you need a quote for your end of lease clean up, please contact us today.
Phone: 717 467 0070. We look forward to hearing from you.