When You Need Household or Business Trash Cleared in a Hurry, We Can HelpDecember 13, 2021
Holiday Waste and How to Ensure a Clean, Green Winter Holiday SeasonJanuary 9, 2022
Basements are often that space that no one wants to think about except when there is something to be put away. They tend to become the storage area of the home that collects the junk – in fact most of us who have basements are probably not even aware of what we have put away over the years. Because they are not an area of the house often visited they can easily become the dumping ground for old toys, unused furniture, old clothing and 101 other unused items that you keep meaning to get rid of.
Once you have decided to carry out your basement cleanout there are a few tips to make it go smoothly and not seem quite such an overwhelming task. In fact, you may like the look of your clean, tidy basement so much that you wish to incorporate it into your living space and stop using it as a dumping ground.
- You will need to dedicate some time for your basement cleanout. Obviously, how long this will take depends on how cluttered it is. It is a good idea to dedicate a weekend or even take on this project during the holidays. It is not a project that you want to begin only to lose interest and abandon it.
- As with other projects which involve clearing out any clutter, you will need to sort through these items and place them in three piles: Keep, trash, donate. You need to be ruthless with this step. If you need the trash pile taken away immediately, please call Little Green Junk Company as we offer a same day junk removal service, even if it is over a weekend. Once this trash is cleared away you will get a better grip on what you are left with. From the donate pile, you can either sell anything that is in good condition or donate it to your favorite charity shop. Bear in mind that these items have been abandoned in your basement so the keep pile should be the smallest of the three. It will mostly consist of items that have sentimental value to you and your family as these items are the most difficult to give away or trash.
- If you have bulky furniture items to get rid of, Little Green Junk Company can also help you with their disposal. These items are heavy and difficult to move, but if they are in good condition they can easily be recycled. We actually recycle all these items where we can and only use the landfill as a last resort.
- Clean the basement from the floor up. Sweep, vacuum, and mop the floors. This should be relatively easy once the accumulated junk has been taken away. You may even wish to hire a professional cleaning company to help you with this step.
- Now that you have a clean basement space, you may be inspired to paint it and even do some minor renovations and changes to turn it into an extra living space or an organised storage space. This will add value to your property.
Some Practical Ideas to Keep Your Basement Organised and Usable
Once you have sorted through all the clutter and disposed of the stuff that you no longer need, pack the belongings you are keeping up in an organised manner. Ideally use plastic bins to pack your stuff in so that you can see what you have. These will also keep insects like silver moths and others out of your belongings. Adding some moth or insect repellent will provide further protection against these unwanted guests. Any moisture in your goods will cause mildew and mould which can cause damage, so add some desiccant packets into each container.
When using cardboard boxes the best piece of advice is to label them in great detail to help you remember where your goods are and locate them easily if you need to. If you don’t know where to find something you will most probably end up buying another one.
If you can, remember to use the vertical storage space against walls. This may entail adding some shelving to get your stuff off the floor. These shelves will add a lot of extra storage space. Adding ceiling and wall hooks will also help keep your items off the floor.
A basement is a perfect storage area to keep all those items that you don’t necessarily use every day. So keep your holiday decorations in their own boxes and stored in their own area of the basement and at the back. Keep items you are likely to need more often at the front nearer to the door.
Contact Little Green Junk to Remove Your Basement Junk
Once you have cleaned out your basement and you need any junk removed, please give us a call. Don’t hang onto anything that you are no longer using just in case you may need it one day, or if it is broken, if you intend to fix it.
Our professional team at Little Green Junk are your local junk removal company that can assist you with any household waste removal that you may need. We will always recycle where we can, and if you have waste that is difficult to dispose of, we can help. Our aim is to always ensure that we have a clean community and we deal with your household waste in the best way possible.
If you need anything that doesn’t fit into your weekly trash profile removed we are your go-to guys. Our service is reliable and professional, and we leave the area where we removed the waste from clean and swept. You can rely on us to arrive on time, even if it is after hours or at a weekend.
Please contact us today. for a No Obligation Quote for your trash removal in the York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg area.
Phone: 717 467 0070