As a Business Owner do you have a Waste Management Strategy?December 6, 2021
When You Need Household or Business Trash Cleared in a Hurry, We Can HelpDecember 13, 2021
“Carbon footprint”, “global warming”, “climate change” and “greenhouse gases” are all words that are trending at the moment in the wake of COP26 negotiations which ended recently. Many of the negotiations centered around the effects the main offenders, some of them with the largest economies in the world, have on global warming and how they can move to achieve a net zero economy where economic activity is balanced by achieving a sustainable carbon footprint.
The finding is that the next decade is vital, with governments, business, and civil society needing to work together to change the way we power our homes and businesses by using clean power instead of coal and ‘dirty’ energy; growing and processing our food to reach net zero while also protecting and restoring forests and nature generally; developing zero emission vehicles to move goods around; and using science and innovative green technology to develop compliant infrastructure.
These are very noble and high-flying objectives that must be achieved, but how can we as individuals, take action ourselves and make a difference? It is essential that countries achieve their goals in lowering temperatures, and they need the help of every single one of us if we are to leave a planet that is habitable to our children and grandchildren.
How Can We Reduce Our Carbon Footprint?
Human activities cause greenhouse gas emissions, mainly carbon dioxide, which are released into the atmosphere. These greenhouse gases trap the heat from the sun and block it from escaping the atmosphere and thus contribute to global warming. Minimizing our carbon emissions is essential to solving this environmental predicament we find ourselves in.
It is important to become aware which of our daily activities add to our carbon footprint. After all, the higher our carbon footprint is, the more we contribute to the problem of global warming and climate change. With a few changes to certain aspects of our lifestyles, we can all make a difference to our environment.
Changes Around the Home
- Use less power by purchasing energy efficient appliances when your old ones need replacing. Turn off lights when you don’t need them and unplug any devices when they are not in use. These actions, even if they feel insignificant, will save energy.
- Switch home heating to clean power alternatives which will happen as using coal and other fossil fuels to generate power is phased out by governments around the world.
- It takes energy and resources to deliver water to our homes, so by reducing our water consumption we can reduce our footprint. Take short showers instead of bathing and turning off the faucet when brushing our teeth will all help.
- Avoid single use plastics as far as possible in our homes. Store food in reusable containers, and instead of buying water in a single use plastic bottles, try a reusable one instead.
Change The Way You View Food
- By buying locally produced food and food products instead of imported food products will not only lessen our footprint but will also help our local economy.
- Plan your meals carefully and prepare just enough for your family so that you cut down on the amount of food waste you generate. Tons of food waste finds its way into our landfills each year, and by cutting down on this waste will help with the prevention of toxic greenhouse gases.
- Compost the organic waste that you produce so that it doesn’t get dumped in the landfill thereby increasing the greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere.
Change the Way You Use Transport
- Motor vehicles are a major contributor to green house gas emissions so try to minimize the use of your vehicle. Instead walk or ride a bike to your nearby destinations. Not only will you be saving the planet by cutting down on carbon emissions, but you will also be working on your fitness.
- When you need to replace your old car, consider an electric vehicle as these are surely the way of the future.
Reduce Your Waste
- Recycle your plastic, paper, aluminum, and glass wherever possible. This will cut down on your trash that needs removing and disposing of.
- Sell or donate any items from your home that you no longer use or need. There are many thrift shops and charities that will accept household items, from your old clothes to your unwanted furniture.
- If you have bulky items or appliances to get rid of, please call a professional trash removal company like Little Green Junk to assist you. Most household items release toxic gases when they break down so these items need to be recycled responsibly and should be kept out of our landfills.
It is vital for every one of us to reduce our carbon footprint as far as possible. Even the simplest action can make a difference, and a positive attitude coupled with commitment will help make the world a cleaner, better place for all of us. Climate change is here to stay and will affect all of us, so we need to adopt sustainable ways to mitigate our carbon footprint. It will require a combined effort not only from us as individuals, but from governments and big industry to ensure a clean environment for future generations.
How Little Green Junk Can Help You
We can assist you reduce your carbon footprint by helping you manage your household trash, removing it and disposing of it in a responsible manner. We recycle your rubbish where we can, and only use the landfill as a last resort.
We will arrive at the agreed scheduled time and will agree with you if there are any changes to be made before we start once we have seen the size of the job. We can help you over weekends if that suits you better, and we even offer a same day waste removal service for any emergencies.
We remove any type of household and yard waste, including construction and garden waste. Once we have completed the job, we leave that area of the property clean and tidy.
Please phone us on 717 467 0070 so that we can give you an accurate quote.
Little Green Junk Company York PA
Phone: 717467 0070