This is that exciting time of year once again – the Winter holiday season which stretches from Thanksgiving through to New Year and includes Christmas. This is the time when we meet up with our families and friends to celebrate. Everyone has been through a tough 20 months and one thing we will all be hoping for is that 2022 brings an end to the lockdowns, restrictions, and other disappointments we have all experienced in some form or another.
It also means that as Americans we throw out 25% more trash during this period than during the year. This extra waste translates into about 25 million more tons of garbage. This is a huge amount of trash that needs to be collected and disposed of safely. What is needed is a rethink on how we can reduce some of this waste and in this way save the harm this trash can cause to our environment. But when you need any waste disposed of safely during this holiday period, Little Green Junk will collect it from your home and get rid of it for you.
Environmentally Friendly Tips for a Less Wasteful Holiday Season.
There are some very basic ways to reduce our waste during the winter holiday season, so even changing the way we do the basics like wrapping gifts, what kind of gifts we choose, to what we do with our leftover food are all ways we can make a difference.
- When shopping for gifts think about whether they will be used or will just be put away and eventually find their way into the trash bin. Look for items that will last and are reusable such as a refillable thermos flask, items made from recycled materials, or products using solar powered batteries or rechargeable batteries.
Consider gifting someone with an experience rather than something. Theater tickets, movie tickets, vouchers for a night out at a popular restaurant are all thoughtful gifts that will not create any waste and will support local businesses.
An annual pass for entrance into a nearby nature reserve or park is another idea of giving an experience.
If you are a good baker or cook, everyone loves home baked cookies, jams, preserves, or breads so these all make gifts that will be appreciated.
Tickets for the game will appeal to any sports lover.
- Think of original ways of wrapping your gifts as wrapping paper is often used once and then thrown away. Consider using paper that you can decorate yourself using stamps. Use pages of a magazine to wrap small gifts or even newspaper. Whatever paper you decide to use or buy, avoid using those metallic, shiny wrapping papers that are not able to be recycled.
Wrap kitchen or food gifts in a dish cloth and tie with a ribbon. Use decorative boxes, tins, or present your foodie friend with a basket filled with their favorite food and snack items.
Keep wrapping paper, gift bags, boxes, bows, and ribbons from the gifts you receive to use next year.
- When entertaining during this winter holiday period use crockery, eat ware, and serviettes that can be washed and reused.
Try and plan your meals so as not to have lots of food wastage that you need to throw out. Much of the solid waste that is generated at this time of the year is food waste, but by being more thoughtful as to what you are purchasing you will manage to cut down significantly on your food waste.
There are other ways in which we can reduce holiday waste so as not to contribute as much to the one million tons of extra trash that is thrown out in the US per week during November and December.
- A big source of waste is the plastic shopping bags we use for our shopping every day. Replace the plastic ones with reusable bags and make a big difference in how much plastic you need to throw out.
- Don’t use any disposable cutlery, plates, and cups. After all, this is what the dishwasher is for, and by using reusables you will be doing your environment a favor.
- I don’t think there is a person in US who hasn’t ordered stuff from Amazon so the number of boxes that need to be dealt with is astronomical. In order for the contents not to be damaged in any way, Amazon use really large boxes with lots of packaging. Luckily the cardboard can be recycled, so the boxes need to be flattened and placed out with your recycling. The Styrofoam packaging can be collected and dropped of at your local postal mailing center as they can use it.
The three R’s of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, are something to put into practice at all times, but especially at this time of the year. Make it easy for your family and guests to recycle their trash by supplying bins of different colors.
Contact Little Green Junk to Remove Your Holiday Trash
The mountains of trash generated over the winter holiday period need the help of every householder in order to solve this environmental problem. Encourage your family members to reduce, reuse, and recycle and make it easy for them to do so.
Our professional team at Little Green Junk are your local junk removal company that are on call over the holiday season to assist you with any trash you need removed. We will always recycle where we can and only use the landfill as a last resort. If you have waste that is difficult to dispose of and doesn’t fit into your weekly trash profile that can be removed by the local municipality, we can help. Our aim is to always ensure that we have a clean community and deal with our household waste in the best way possible.
Our service is reliable and professional, and we leave the area where we removed the waste from clean and swept. You can rely on us to arrive on time, even if it is after hours or at a weekend.
Please contact us today. for a No Obligation quote for your trash removal in the York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg area.
Phone: 717 467 0070