Cleaning Up After the Holidays? How Professional Waste Removal and Disposal Can AssistJanuary 24, 2023
Worried About the Amount of Household Waste You Generate? Some Simple Ways to Solve This MenaceFebruary 19, 2023
We all know that proper disposal of waste is critical, so why is it still such a challenge? Why is it that most people do not know how to dispose of their waste plastic, glass, food waste, e-waste and more, in a way that prevents this stuff from damaging our environment?
Waste needs to be managed throughout its life, from its origin to the end when it is either recycled, dumped, or destroyed. Waste management, therefore, includes the following processes;
- Collection of waste from households and businesses. This can be done by the local authorities or by a private waste removal company such as Little Green Junk.
- Transportation of this waste to the local landfill where it is treated accordingly.
- Recycling centres which receive specific types of waste for treatment.
- Specialised waste treatment centers for toxic materials such as medical waste and industrial waste.
- Dumping illegally, which causes environmental problems.
There are reasons why waste disposal is a huge problem that results in harm being caused to our environment.
- We are producing too much waste. Every household produces a few kilograms of waste every day. This includes plastic bags, food waste, obsolete gadgets, and packaging waste from our online deliveries. We replace old kitchen appliances every few years. Our old furniture also needs disposing of when we replace it with new. Sometimes we want to get rid of something immediately which means it has a good chance of landing up in a landfill.
- There is a major problem with single use products which include plastic water bottles, disposable takeout coffee cups, food containers and plastic cutlery, and plastic shopping bags. Many of these items are unable to be recycled.
- If environmental regulations are not enforced, industries and manufacturing companies allow their toxic waste to be channeled into our environment where it can cause untold damage to the surrounding communities by leaching into groundwater and rivers.
- Not enough emphasis is placed on the importance of recycling. There are many people that seem to be unaware that the way junk is disposed of has a direct impact on not only the environment, but also their health. We need publicity campaigns on social media and other forms of media to inform us of the importance of recycling where we can, and reusing products to cut down on the amount of trash that reaches our landfills.
- There is a reluctance by many people to use private waste companies which would assist them to dispose of their waste safely as they are considered too expensive.
How Can We Produce Less Waste?
One of the ways we can achieve this is by practising the 5 R’s. These are Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose, and Recycle. So these are the steps to take in the process of waste management before even reaching the recycling stage. By following these steps we should be able to produce significantly less waste.
This is an effective way to reduce waste. It requires some discipline and awareness and is achieved by refusing to buy products that are non-recyclable, or that have unnecessary or excessive packaging.
By reducing our use of single use plastic items and non-recyclable products, we will immediately cut down on the amount of waste we generate. Therefore less will need to be recycled, and less will find its way into our landfills. Cutting down on the amount of fresh produce we buy, buying only what we know we will use, and trying to use whatever we buy before its use-by date, will reduce the amount of organic waste that we throw out.
Just think of the items we use only once, and then throw out. All those plastic cutlery sets that come with our take out containers which both get dumped, that daily cup of coffee in a takeout container that we pick up on our way to the office, the bottled water that comes in a single use plastic bottle…the list is endless. By replacing these with reusable alternatives, or even containers that are compostable which will make them ready for recycling, will greatly cut down on the amount of waste we generate.
Donating our old goods such as furniture, books, electronics, and clothing to those less fortunate will ensure that they are reused. This can help someone in need while at the same time keeping it out of the landfill.
This is also known as upcycling and can involve some creative ways of using those items that you would normally have thrown away. Use glass jars for storing food in your fridge instead of plastic containers, keep gift wrap from the holidays to reuse. Old t-shirts can be repurposed into cleaning cloths
Recycling of any waste is the most environmentally friendly way of disposing of it after you have gone through the other four steps. By starting an effective recycling program to get rid of any plastic, glass, aluminum tins and cans, cardboard and paper, and organic waste such as your old food, you may be pleasantly surprised at how little you actually send to the landfill.
Little Green Junk for Your Waste Disposal Problems
Besides being a registered waste carrier in the York PA area, we are knowledgeable of the local restrictions and rules regarding the removal and disposal of trash. We are committed to recycling where we can, and only using the landfill as a last resort for waste disposal.
It is illegal to dump trash with no regard for the environment so you need to be aware of fly-by-night junk removers who may offer to dump your junk at a price that seems too good to be true.
At Little Green Junk Company York, PA we take great pride in putting our customers’ needs first and we treat them in a courteous and respectful way. Look on our website for references from previous customers.
When requested, we will provide an accurate quotation based on the information we receive. Once we have seen the job, and if there are any changes to be made to this quote, we will agree to these before we start the job.
We will arrive promptly at the previously agreed scheduled time. Once we have completed the job, we will leave that area of the property clean and tidy.
Please call us today on 717 467 0070 for a free, no obligation quote. Our prices are competitive, and we service the areas of York, Harrisburg, and Lancaster.