Is it Time for a New Mattress? How to Dispose of Your Old One ResponsiblyDecember 12, 2022
Need Waste Removed? Call In the ProfessionalsDecember 18, 2022
Downsizing to a smaller property is a practical choice for those of us who are ready to retire or who want to simplify their lives. Once all the kids have moved out, moving to a smaller home makes sense. It means that your living expenses will be minimized which is always a win. Furthermore, maintaining a large property and house takes time and energy and both of these could be put to better use by pursuing hobbies and even taking that trip or cruise you have been promising yourself.
But downsizing is never easy. It requires letting go of a home that you may have lived in for many years, and which holds special memories of family times. So the decision is an emotional one as well. But living in a large space can be impractical for someone elderly, and it may well be time to let go of personal belongings and furniture, consolidate, and move somewhere more manageable.
Some Advantages of Downsizing
- Living in a large old house with a staircase, long passages, and old bathrooms can be unsafe as our mobility becomes compromised. When getting older we unfortunately become more susceptible to falls and injuries which can be life changing. That is why a single story bungalow is popular with oldies. A modern more open layout will make it easier and safer for you to move around.
- Old houses with lots of nooks and crannies makes housekeeping very difficult and time consuming. Many older people land up using only a few rooms in their house, namely the bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom, and the lounge. All the unused rooms tend to be neglected, collect dust, and become a dumping ground for any clutter.
- Maintaining a large yard takes time and effort. The lawn needs to be mowed regularly and the garden needs to be maintained. All these tasks get more difficult with age. For these reasons it makes sense to downsize to a smaller property.
- Easier on the budget. If you are living on a fixed income, it is important to save costs where you can. A large house is expensive to heat and to keep clean. Maintenance costs are higher as it gets more difficult to do those odd maintenance and painting jobs yourself. You may need to hire help to do those things that you could manage before. Municipal expenses such as rates, utility bills, and property taxes are greater on a larger property. So there are definite financial advantages for you to move to a smaller apartment or home.
- Less responsibility and living a simpler life is another plus. Even if you are not contemplating a move, just removing unused items that you no longer need from your home will give you a feeling of freedom. A waste removal company such as Little Green Junk will haul away any excess clutter from your home or yard with minimal disruption to you.
Some Tips to Make Downsizing Easier
Sorting through your possessions that you have collected over the years is difficult and emotional as you will feel as though you are living your life again. As an example, that old cooking pot you inherited from your family will bring back many memories of the old times and the meals shared, so give yourself plenty of time when you need to start sorting out your belongings.
This is the time for your kids to decide which of your possessions they want to keep. Often you may find yourself hanging onto artworks, or furniture, or other items, that you think they may want one day, whereas in fact they may not be interested. So rather than keeping items that no one really wants, get rid of them during the downsizing process.
- If you have any offers of help from friends or family, take them up on it as it will make your task easier. The longer you have lived in the same house, the more stuff you will have accumulated, so unless you have been decluttering and clearing out your things regularly, you will probably be surprised at how much stuff you have to sort through.
- Clear out the rooms and areas that you no longer use, such as spare bedrooms, the basement, and the attic. Decide on the items you wish to sell, donate, or trash. You will be surprised at what you can sell either online or at a garage sale before you move out. And putting a bit of cash in your pocket makes parting with your stuff that much easier.
- The amount of stuff that you can keep will be decided largely by the size of the home or apartment you are moving to. You may be left with a pile of paraphernalia that could be considered junk. Hiring a professional waste removal company such as Little Green Junk to remove all of your unwanted junk will take care of that anxiety of wondering exactly what to do with it.
- Before you donate or throw anything away, it is worth asking your family or even friends if they can use it. Think of unwanted gym equipment, musical instruments, old bicycles, or sports equipment.
Need a Rubbish Removal Partner?
Moving stuff around can be a challenge, and our team at Little Green Junk can assist you. We can also remove and dispose of piles of trash and any unwanted goods. We will recycle any goods that we can, and we only use the landfill as a last resort. So you can be sure that you are using an eco-friendly waste removal company.
We are a phone call away, and will arrive at the agreed upon time, load up any of your unwanted junk quickly and unobtrusively, without being a nuisance to you. Once we have completed the job, we clean up after ourselves, and leave that area of the property clean and tidy.
Please call us today on 717 467 0070 for a free, no obligation quote. Our prices are competitive, and we service the areas of York, Harrisburg, and Lancaster.