Does Your Home Need an Attic Cleanout?April 15, 2022
Foreclosure Cleanout – Make the Property Appealing to BuyersApril 26, 2022
It is time we start talking to our kids about the mounting problem of waste. The average American creates nearly 5 pounds of waste a day and if we continue at this pace it is estimated that our landfills will be full within two generations, which means it will happen in their lifetime.
When we consider that up to 75% of waste that lands up in the bin could have been recycled but only about 30% is actually being recycled, we obviously have to do better at recycling. The amount of recyclable waste being dumped has a direct impact on how much harm is being caused to our environment. If we want to save the planet, we must start talking about green waste management.
Teaching kids about green waste management will ensure they understand the importance it plays in preserving our environment and will make them aware that they can play an active role. If they are taught from an early age to be cognizant of the importance of green waste management, they will carry through with these habits for the rest of their lives.
Understanding That Trash Just Doesn’t Go Away
- One of the ways to teach your children about the mounting problem of waste is to make them aware as to how much waste you generate as a family at home. You can carry out a trash audit where you actually physically sort through the waste on a daily basis which will make them aware of how much gets thrown out, whether it is throwing out the half-eaten meal they no longer want to the number of single use plastic packaging and containers that we discard every day.
- This will empower them to realise that they have choices to make to reduce the amount of waste they generate. It will also hopefully make them remember to recycle and to throw their trash in the correct bins.
- Connecting this to the zero-waste ideals of the 5R’s (refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle, and rot) will make them aware of the choices they make every day, for example using a reusable container instead of a single-use plastic bag for their school snacks. By learning to put their trash into the correct recycling bins and teaching them about composting all their organic food waste will help with their understanding that choices have consequences.
- Learning that trash needs to be sorted for recycling is the first step to green waste management. This will take effort from the entire family. When there is any waste you need removed and disposed of, Little Green Junk is the professional waste company that will not just dump all your waste to the nearest landfill. We recycle where we can and only use the landfill as a last resort.
Teach Your Kids the Benefits of Recycling
The more our children understand green waste management and actually physically get involved in recycling, the more we can be assured that our world will be in safer hands.
They must be taught the importance of what they are doing and why it is so crucial to the survival of the planet. They need to understand exactly how and why recycling is so important, and that it involves more than just throwing a plastic bottle in the bin. Once they are aware of their environment and the impact their behaviour in relation to waste has, they will be more willing to get involved in reducing, reusing, and recycling their trash.
- Assign recycling to your child’s weekly chore schedule. This is easy to do and if begun at a young age will become part of their behaviour. Show them what materials can and cannot be recycled and how the recycling needs to be prepared for pickup.
All tasks such as rinsing out containers and jars, flattening out cardboard boxes, making sure that materials are not contaminated by leftover foods, and organising materials into the correct bins can be carried out by kids from a young age with your help.
- Set up a compost bin to take care of any food and organic waste. This is a way to teach them what food items degrade into compost. Use the compost to begin a vegetable and herb garden.
- Make it fun for them by offering rewards for reaching certain green waste management targets.
- Donating their second hand toys and clothes that they have outgrown to the local thrift shop is a lesson in recycling, as well as a valuable life lesson in giving to those that are less fortunate.
Why Use Little Green Junk
However much we all try to reach the zero-waste targets in our homes it can prove to be a difficult task. If you find yourself in a position when you need junk hauled away, you can rely on Little Green Junk to carry out your junk removal and disposal in a professional manner. We recycle wherever possible, and you can be assured that we only use the landfill as a last resort.
At Little Green Junk Company York, PA we treat our customers with the respect they deserve, and we are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that they are happy with our service. Once we arrive on site and inspect the extent of the cleanout, we will discuss any changes to be made to the quote with you. When we have an agreement on the amount, we will start clearing your trash away.
When we have completed the job, we will leave that area clean and tidy.
We realise that sometimes you need to get rid of your trash in a hurry, so we offer a same day junk removal service, and we can even accommodate your junk removal after hours or over a weekend if that is what you require.
Please call us today on 717 467 0070 when you need a quote for your trash removal when you undertake your spring clean.